08 July 2022
Restoration – Château Heriot
Restoration of the gate and gates made in a 19th century castle.
The Château Heriot was built between 1890 and 1892 by Zacharie Olympe Hériot known as “le Commandant Hériot”. After a military career, he bought a property in Essoyes in 1890 and had a castle built between 1890 and 1892. He was elected Mayor of Essoyes on 15 May 1892. He died on 22 July 1899 and on 27 December of the same year the château was given to his widow.
During the First World War, the property was placed at the disposal of the military authorities and became an annex of the Jacobin hospital in Troyes. The property was closed at the end of the war. Following the Second World War, major renovation work was undertaken to install classrooms on the left side and the collection office and accommodation on the right side.
Crézé’s mission: removal and restoration of the Château’s gates and portal. Once the gates and the portal have been received in the Crézé workshops, all the works will be restored to their original condition. The foliage will also be brought up to date and restored to its former glory.
The restoration has begun!